Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Iambic Monologue

Roomate: Are you going to make dinner?
Me: I thought you were going to make that pizza tonight.
Roomate: Nah, decided not to.
Me: Oh ok, too hard?
Roomate: Ha ha. No. Just don't want to get fat.
Me: It happens to all of us one day.
Roomate: Yeah, but I'd rather wait till 60 to be nasty.
Me: Isn't that a sad fact of life? We'll all get fat and nasty one day.
Roomate: Yeah. Pretty sad. Let's not talk about that.
Me: Okay.
Roomate: What movie should we watch.
Me: Something about old people getting fat and nasty.
Roomate: That's really specific.
Me: Ask and you shall receive.

This does come off as a sort of iambic pentameter to me. Because we use simple words to communicate socially as human beings, often times we follow the iambic pattern. If I was talking about what I needed to know for my coming political science test, the conversation would not have followed the same pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment