Friday, November 15, 2013

Does Poetry Matter?

I think that Dana Gioia makes a pretty logical and accurate case for the roll of poetry in modern society.  While I believe poetry has become more prevalent, in the form that it's become a huge part of social media, I think a lot of the originality has been destroyed. Because of this, poetry has less influence than it used to, despite it's frequency. For example, I had seen two or three of the films that we watched clips of in class, but I never realized a poem (generally a famous one) was being read. If I would have watched the movie the day before class it wouldn't have resonated with me, and if I watch it in a year I anticipate the same will happen. Poetry simply does not resonate with me. I took this same literature class in high school, but neglected to take it for credit. Through two years of the course, there's only one problem that I can recite, or could even name if I saw it on paper. The only reason I can recite that play (Nothing Gold Can Stay) is because my teach made us memorize it for credit. I can recognize that I probably hear poetry, or references to it, on a weekly basis; when I hear these things, however, I fail to recognize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment